Born: Jan. 14, 1984
Record at Oaklawn
Total wins: 288
Stakes wins: 9
• Jockey Ramon Vazquez rode 50 winners in 2019 at Oaklawn to finish third in the standings and set a single-season personal best for purse earnings ($2,472,220). Capped his meet with a victory aboard Laughing Fox in the closing-day $300,000 Oklahoma Invitational for 3-year-olds.
• Recorded his 3,000th career victory June 28, 2019, at Prairie Meadows.
• Finished second to Ricardo Santana Jr. in the Oaklawn standings in 2015, 2016 and 2017 and was fourth in 2018. In 2017, he finished the meet six wins behind his rival with 47 victories, including the $125,000 Fifth Season Stakes with Domain's Rap. Vazquez added two more stakes victories in 2018, taking the $125,000 Gazebo aboard Bourne in Nixa and the $100,000 Nodouble aboard J.E.’s Handmedown.
• Following the 2018 Oaklawn meeting, Vazquez rode a meet-record 131 winners at Prairie Meadows. Vazquez had set previous mark (118) in 2017. Leading rider again at Prairie Meadows in 2019. Ranked fifth nationally in victories in 2017 with 260 and eighth nationally in 2018 with 245.
• Vazquez scored his most lucrative career victory to date aboard Subtle Indian in the $400,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (G3) in 2016 at Oaklawn.
• The son of a jockey, Vazquez graduated from the Puerto Rico Vocational Jockey School in 2002 and was both the leading rider and leading apprentice in Puerto Rico that year. He made the move to the United States in 2011 and started his career at Delaware Park. His neighbor growing up was Hall of Fame jockey John Velazquez, who he considers his biggest mentor.
• Among Vazquez’s best mounts to date is Soy Conquistador, who he piloted to victory in seven stakes victories in his native Puerto Rico. His other top mounts include Subtle Indian, Gentlemen’s Bet, Bayerd, Daddy Nose Best, Domain’s Rap, Fortune Play and Big Sugarush.