Born: Nov. 19, 1992
Total Wins: 412 | Stakes Wins: 27
- Through Nov. 16, jockey Ricardo Santana Jr. ranked ninth nationally in purse earnings with a career-high $12,947,102 in 2018. Had also set a career high for victories (170). Surpassed $50 million in career purse earnings in 2018.
- Recorded his 1,000th career victory April 12. 2018, at Oaklawn, where he has won six consecutive riding titles. Santana’s milestone came aboard Westfest for Hall of Fame trainer Steve Asmussen, the jockey’s major client. Finished third aboard the Asmussen-trained Tenfold in the 2018 Preakness (G1).
- Set a single-season Oaklawn record for purse earnings in 2018 ($4,240,304). Set the previous record ($4,064,073) in 2016. Earned first Grade 1 victory aboard the Asmussen-trained Creator in the 2016 Arkansas Derby. Santana’s first stakes victory also came at Oaklawn in the 2011 Spring Fever aboard Salty Wave.
- Earned his first career riding title in 2012 at Delaware Park. He tied for the riding title at the 2014 Churchill Downs September meeting and topped the Keeneland standings at the 2017 fall meet. Recorded his first Keeneland stakes victory in the Franklin County (G3) Oct. 12 aboard the Asmussen-trained Chanteline.
- Hails from Panama, which is also the birthplace of Hall of Fame jockeys Laffit Pincay Jr. and Braulio Baeza. Santana grew up in the poor Panama City neighborhood of El Chorrillo before graduating from the Laffit Pincay Jr. school for aspiring jockeys in Dec. 2008.
- Was brought to the United States in 2009 by agent Ruben Munoz, who still represents the jockey. He recorded his first victory in the U.S. Sept. 21, 2009, at Delaware Park.