Born: May 7, 1962
Record at Oaklawn
Total wins: 276
Stakes wins: 15
• Trainer Randy Morse entered December with 999 career North American victories.
• Morse has built a reputation for having an astute eye for horses. He claimed Moonshine Mullin, on behalf of owner Randy Patterson, for $40,000 in late 2013 and he retired a Grade 1 winner after winning the Stephen Foster Handicap.
2016 meet was highlighted by wins in the $100,000 Fifth Season Stakes with Street Strategy and $100,000 Rainbow Stakes with Maize Road.
• Trained Oaklawn fan favorite and millionaire Jonesboro, who raced until age 8 and is now standing at Lake Hamilton Equine near Hot Springs, Ark. The multiple graded stakes winner won Oaklawn’s Northern Spur Stakes in 2005, Essex Handicap (G3) in 2007 and Razorback Handicap (G3) in 2008.
• Another successful claim was Morluc, who taken for $50,000 and went on to earn more than $1 million. He also paid $50,000 to claim Prospector’s Song, winner of the Dixie Belle Stakes, Martha Washington Stakes, Spring Fever Stakes and Carousel Handicap at Oaklawn. Prospector’s Song ran 1:08.85, one of the fastest 6-furlong times by a female in Oaklawn history, to win the 1999 Carousel.
• Morse is the son of trainer W.R. “Charlie” Morse. He grew up on the race track, handling all the backstretch jobs of hot walker, groom, foreman, stable agent, and at 15, was galloping horses.