Born: Aug. 31, 1971
Record at Oaklawn:
Total Wins: 226 | Stakes Wins: 16
- Ron Moquett finished third in the 2018 Oaklawn standings, recording personal meet highs for victories (28), purse earnings ($1,729,774) and stakes victories (five).
- Stable star is Whitmore, who swept Oaklawn’s Hot Springs Stakes and Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (G3) for the second consecutive year in 2018 before give Moquett his second career Gr. 1 victory in the Forego at Saratoga and finishing second in the Breeders’ Cup Sprint (G1). Moquett also won the American Beauty and Carousel with Swing and Sway and Rainbow Miss with Georgia’s Reward in 2018.
- Had a stint under trainer Bernie Flint before starting his first horse in 1997 and saddling his first winner in 1998. Moquett scored his first Grade 1 win in 2006 when Seek Gold, at odds of 91-1, captured the Stephen Foster Handicap at Churchill Downs. Seek Gold was making his first start for Moquett after being privately purchased from owner Robert LaPenta. Moquett co-owns Whitmore with LaPenta and Head of Plains Partners LLC.
- Whitmore ($2,381,000 in career earnings) is Moquett’s first millionaire. Gentlemen’s Bet, another multiple stakes-winning sprinter, ran third in the 2013 Breeders’ Cup Sprint (G1) and retired with more than $700,000 in career earnings. Moquett’s first Kentucky Derby starter, Far Right, won the Smarty Jones Stakes and Southwest Stakes (G3) in 2015 at Oaklawn before finishing second to eventual Triple Crown winner American Pharoah in the Arkansas Derby (G1). Far Right finished 15thin the 2015 Run for the Roses. Whitmore ran 19th in the 2016 Kentucky Derby (G1) before returning to sprints.
- Moquett saddled his 500th career winner Feb. 6, 2015, at Oaklawn. Moquett’s 79 victories and $3,788,037 in purse earnings through Oct. 18 had already surpassed his previous yearly bests.
- Horses Moquett owns solely or in partnership run under his Southern Springs Stables banner.
- Trains promising New York-bred 2-year-old Frosted Ice for Rialto Racing Stables, LLC (Catherine Adams Hutt). A homebred, Frosted Ice broke his maiden Aug. 17 at Saratoga and won the $150,000 Bertram F. Bongard Stakes Sept. 21 at Belmont Park.