Born: April 26, 1956
Total Wins: 16 | Stakes Wins: 0
- Canadian Norman McKnight was the most successful training newcomer at the 2018 Oaklawn meet, saddling 16 winners to tie for seventh in the standings.
- McKnight’s 2018 Oaklawn stable was headed by hard-hitting sprinter Smart Spree, who won three races before finishing fourth in the Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (G3). Smart Spree represented McKnight’s first career Oaklawn victory.
- Was active at the Oaklawn claim box, with numerous horses he took flourishing after the meeting ended. After McKnight claimed Oaklawn stakes winner Decorated Soldier for $20,000, the gelding won stakes races at Woodbine and Presque Isle.
- McKnight saddled 99 winners, including five on closing day, to win his first Woodbine training title in 2017, edging perennial champion Mark Casse. McKnight again topped the Woodbine standings with a month left in the 2018 meeting.
- First year as a named trainer in Thoroughbred racing was in 1999 when he won 13 races in 93 starts, including the Seagram Cup (Brite Adam) and the Play The King and Sky Classic Stakes (Dawson’s Legacy)
- Saddled first winner on January 29, 1999, at Gulfstream Park with You’re Too Much.
- Formerly a prominent driver/trainer in Standardbred racing, who briefly returned to the sulky in 2004.