Residence: Bismarck, Ark.
Won the 2015 & ’16 King Cotton Stakes with Ivan Fallunovalot
Got his start in ownership in 2004 after hitting a Pick-6 and took his winnings to the horsemen’s bookkeeper, opened an account, got a license and hired Tom Howard as his trainer on the advice of longtime friend and fellow owner Frank Fletcher.
- Claimed Ivan Fallunovalot in March 2014 at Oaklawn for $25,000 and the gelding surpassed $1 million in career earnings in his final career start, the $400,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (G3) in 2018 at Oaklawn.
- The Texas-bred gelding won eight stakes races for Mathews, including Oaklawn’s King Cotton on 2015 and 2016, before being retired to Old Friends Farm in Kentucky in the summer of 2018.
- Founder and President of Arkansas F & I, Auto Dealer Consultant Firm.
- His father was a blacksmith and Mathews would follow him from farm to farm and developed a love of horses. Mathews attended the races at Oaklawn Park as a 16-year-old and became a big fan of the sport.
- Has served on the Board of Directors for the Arkansas Thoroughbred Breeders’ and Horsemen’s Association the past several years.