Born: Sept. 2, 1935
Record at Oaklawn
Total wins: 317
Stakes wins: 47
• Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas won six races at the 2019 Oaklawn meeting.
• Lukas’ 2018 Oaklawn meeting included an allowance victory by Bravazo, who developed into one of the country’s top 3-year-olds. Bravazo went on to win the G2 Risen Star Stakes, finish second in the Preakness (G1) and Haskell Invitational (G1) and third in the Travers (G1) and Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile (G1). Also saddled G1 winner Sporting Chance to a third-place finish in the 2018 Grade 3 Southwest Stakes, one of Oaklawn’s signature races for 3-year-olds.
• Recorded his 300th career Oaklawn victory March 31, 2017, with Never Hungover.
• In 2013, saddled Will Take Charge to victories in Oaklawn’s Smarty Jones and Grade 2 Rebel Stakes. The flashy chestnut colt also won the Gr. 1 Travers Stakes, Gr.1 Clark Handicap and was a narrow second in the Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1) to Mucho Macho Man en route to an Eclipse Award as champion 3-year-old male.
• 2013 Rebel Stakes runner-up Oxbow went on to win the Preakness Stakes (G1), a record 14thTriple Crown race victory for Lukas. He has won the Kentucky Derby four times, Preakness six times and Belmont four times.
• Oaklawn’s leading trainer in 1987 and 2011.
• Leads all trainers in starts (167) and victories (20) and is third in purse earnings ($22,690,520) at the Breeders’ Cup.
• Has trained 25 champions, among them three Horse of the Year winners: Lady’s Secret in 1986, Criminal Type in 1990 and Charismatic in 1999. Lady’s Secret and Criminal Type raced at Oaklawn.
• Has four Eclipse Awards (1985, 1986, 1987 and 1994) as outstanding trainer. Became the all-time money-winning trainer in 1988 and first trainer to top $100 million in purse earnings, as well as $200 million.
• The former teacher and basketball coach began his career with Quarter Horses. Turned to Thoroughbreds in 1978.