Residence: Greenville, Texas
Made first Breeders’ Cup appearance in 2016 with Texas Chrome
Under the direction of Allen Milligan, Oaklawn’s leading trainer in 2009, Danny Keene was Oaklawn’s fifth-leading owner in 2018 with eight victories. Keene added five more victories at the 2019 meeting.
- Keene began investing in Thoroughbreds approximately 10 years ago and ranked 13th nationally in victories in 2017 (68).
- A Quarter-Horse trainer in the 1960s and 1970s, Keene topped the owner standings at Lone Star Park in 2013, 2014 and 2015, setting a single-season record for victories (38) in 2015. Was Lone Star’s third-leading owner in 2016 with 14 victories and second in 2017 with 27.
- Tied for third in the 2017 Oaklawn standings with nine victories.
- Texas Chrome represented Keene’s first Breeders’ Cup starter in the 2016 Dirt Mile (G1). He purchased Texas Chrome for $10,000 as a yearling and watched the Texas-bred develop into a multiple graded stakes winner of $1,033,262. Among his major victories were the Super Derby (G3) and Oklahoma Derby (G3) as a 3-year-old in 2016. Also finished third in Oaklawn’s $150,000 Bachelor Stakes in 2016.
- Invested heavily in the Arkansas breeding program, notably purchasing a farm near Oaklawn, where Texas Chrome stood his first season at stud in 2018.
- Started D & M Plumbing Contractors approximately 36 years ago in McKinney, Texas, and built the business into the largest of its kind in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.