Born: Aug. 22, 1987
Record at Oaklawn
Total wins: 117
Stakes wins: 13
• Jockey Channing Hill won 11 races at the 2019 Oaklawn meet, including the closing-day $200,000 Arkansas Breeders’ Championship aboard Arkansas-bred star Hoonani Road for his father-in-law, trainer Wayne Catalano
• Hill’s 2018 Oaklawn meet included a victory aboard Farrell in the $125,000 Pippin Stakes for Catalano. Farrell surpassed $1 million in career earnings when Hill guided the daughter of Malibu Moon to victory in the Shuvee Stakes (G3) later in the year at Saratoga. Hill also rode Farrell to four stakes victories as a 3-year-old in 2017, including the Chilukki Stakes (G2) at Churchill Downs over older females.
• A native of Nebraska, the 2005 Eclipse Award finalist for outstanding apprentice jockey, got his start at Prairie Meadows when he was 16, riding full time during the summers while still in high school. After graduating in 2005, he made the move to New York and made his career riding there and in New Jersey.
• The biggest win of his career to date came in 2008 when he rode First Defence to victory in the Grade 1 Forego Handicap at Saratoga. That same year, he also won the Black-Eyed Susan (G2) with Sweet Vendetta and the Barbara Fritchie Handicap (G2) with Golden Dawn.
• Hill and his wife, Shelbi, have three sons, Wayllen, born on Kentucky Oaks Day 2014; Sawyer, born in June 2017; and Holden, born Aug. 22, the jockey’s birthday.
• Hill’s father, Allan, rode at Oaklawn during the 1970s, winning three races at the 1979 meeting.