Born: Jan. 19, 1973
Record at Oaklawn
Total wins: 145
Stakes wins: 2
• Chris Hartman, Oaklawn’s leading trainer in 2015, comes from a racing family. His grandfather, father and mother all trained at Turf Paradise in Phoenix. He also has two brothers that train. Hartman got his trainer’s license at 18 and won his first race that same year at Prescott Downs in Prescott, Ariz.
• Hartman had another solid year in 2018, finishing sixth in the Oaklawn standings with 18 victories, including his second career stakes score in Hot Springs, $125,000 King Cotton with Wilbo.
• Best known for training multiple stakes-winning sprinter Alsvid, who retired in early 2017 with $1,372,815 in career earnings. Alsvid won the $300,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (G3) in 2015 at Oaklawn and an allowance event Jan. 26, 2017, at Oaklawn in his final career start. Alsvid helped Hartman earn his first career Oaklawn training title in 2015 and was also his first Breeders’ Cup starter later that year.
• Hartman’s stable has had much success in recent years and put Chris near the top of the trainer standings at several different tracks, including Oaklawn, Churchill Downs, Keeneland, Remington Park and Prairie Meadows. Stable is headed by multiple stakes winner Wilbo, who surpassed $800,000 in career earnings with a Nov. 28, 2019, allowance victory at Churchill Downs. In addition to the King Cotton, Wilbo also won an allowance race and ran second in the Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (G3) in 2018 at Oaklawn.
• Hartman earned his first graded stakes victory in 2011 when Schramsberg scored in the John B. Connally Turf Cup (G3) at Sam Houston. Other standouts include Red Lead, winner of the 2010 Sunland Park Handicap and more than $800,000 in his career, and Ohio-bred millionaire Rivers Run Deep, a 2018 Oaklawn allowance winner.