Born: Oct. 2, 1973
Record at Oaklawn
Total wins: 142
Stakes wins: 5
• The Canadian-born trainer has made a huge splash since his first season at Oaklawn in 2015. Diodoro was Oaklawn’s second-leading trainer in 2017 (31 victories), capped by Inside Straight’s upset in the $750,000 Oaklawn Handicap (G2), in 2018 (32) and again in 2019 (48).
• Diodoro won 29 races at the 2019 Oaklawn meeting for M and M Racing, helping Mike and Mickala Sisk set a single-season meet record for victories by an owner (61). Diodoro won 18 races at the 2018 Oaklawn meeting for M and M Racing, helping it capture its first career owner’s title.
• Diodoro was Oaklawn’s co-fifth-leading trainer in 2016 with 22 victories, including four consecutive with Subtle Indian, who won the $100,000 Hot Springs Stakes and $400,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (G3).
• Diodoro recorded his first career Oaklawn stakes victory in 2015 when Subtle Indian won the $100,000 Gazebo for 3-year-old sprinters.
• Through Dec. 1, Diodoro ranked third nationally in victories (240) in 2019. He ranked third nationally in victories in 2018 (255), fifth in 2017 (219) and fourth in 2016 (242).
• He was North America’s fifth-winningest trainer in 2014 with 243 victories and seventh in 2015 with 190. He also edged perennial Canterbury champion Mac Robertson for the training title at the Minnesota track in 2014 and repeated in 2015. They shared the title in 2018.
• In addition to Oaklawn, also races extensively in Kentucky, Louisiana, New York and at Turf Paradise in Phoenix, where he resides. Diodoro, who comes from a racing family, began training in 1995. His grandfather trained and Diodoro took over the one-horse operation in the mid-1990s.