Born: Oct. 2, 1973
Record at Oaklawn
Total Wins: 94 | Stakes Wins: 5
- The Canadian-born trainer made a huge splash in his first season at Oaklawn in 2015 and found continued success in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Diodoro was Oaklawn’s second-leading trainer in 2017 (31 victories), capped by Inside Straight’s upset in the $750,000 Oaklawn Handicap (G2), and again in 2018 (32 victories).
- Diodoro won 18 races at the 2018 Oaklawn meeting for M and M Racing, helping Mike and Mickala Sisk capture their first career owner’s title.
- Diodoro was Oaklawn’s co-fifth-leading trainer in 2016 with 22 victories, including four consecutive with Subtle Indian, who won the $100,000 Hot Springs Stakes and $400,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (G3).
- Diodoro recorded his first career Oaklawn stakes victory in 2015 when Subtle Indian won the $100,000 Gazebo for 3-year-old sprinters. Overall, Diodoro has won 25 percent of his Oaklawn starts (94 of 376).
- Through Nov. 16, Diodoro ranked third nationally in victories (233) in 2018. He ranked fifth nationally in 2017 (220) and fourth in 2016 (242).
- He was North America’s fifth-winningest trainer in 2014 with 243 victories and seventh in 2015 with 190. He also edged perennial Canterbury champion Mac Robertson for the training title at the Minnesota track in 2014 and repeated in 2015. They shared the title in 2018.
- In addition to Oaklawn, also keeps horses in New York and at Turf Paradise in Phoenix, where he resides. Diodoro, who comes from a racing family, began training in 1995. His grandfather trained and Diodoro took over the one-horse operation in the mid-1990s.