Born: July 24, 1956
Record at Oaklawn
Total wins: 41
Stakes wins: 6
• Trainer Wayne Catalano has four stakes victories the last three years at Oaklawn, including two in 2019 with Arkansas-bred star Hoonani Road ($100,000 Nodouble Breeders’ and $200,000 Arkansas Breeders’ Championship). Hoonani Road, owned by Jerry Caroom of Hot Springs, enters the 2020 meet unbeaten in seven career Oaklawn starts.
• Catalano won seven races in 2018 at Oaklawn, but two were in stakes company. The former jockey won the $125,000 Pippin with Farrell and the $100,000 Rainbow with Hoonani Road. Catalano recorded his third career Oaklawn stakes victory at the 2017 meeting when Uncontested splashed to an easy front-running score in the $150,000 Smarty Jones for 3-year-olds.
• First major stakes success came with Darrell and Evelyn Yates’ late-running Crypto Star, who captured the 1997 Louisiana Derby (G3) and Arkansas Derby (G2) en route to a fifth-place finish in the Kentucky Derby.
• Trained Eclipse Award winners Dreaming of Anna and She Be Wild, both named champion 2-year-old filly, after winning the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies (G1) in 2006 and ’09, respectively.
• The native of New Orleans, began exercising horses for future Hall of Fame trainer Jack Van Berg and then riding competitively, scoring his first victory on May 20, 1974, at Churchill Downs on Hellfire. In all, he won 1,792 races during a nine-year riding career before chronic knee injuries forced his retirement in 1983.
• Saddled his first winner as a trainer Aug. 11, 1983, at Arlington Park with Dreamin’ of You. Arlington’s leading trainer 11 times and also holds titles at Hawthorne and Churchill Downs.
• His daughter, Shelbi, is married to Channing Hill, among Oaklawn’s top 10 riders in 2017.