Born: Oct. 28, 1974
Total Wins: 53 | Stakes Wins: 0
- Caldwell enjoyed an banner Oaklawn meet in 2017, finishing among the top 10 trainers, and carried the momentum throughout the year. Through Dec. 17, his stable has won a career high 97 races and earned just over $2 million.
- He made a big splash in his first meet at Churchill Downs during the Spring of 2017. With mostly his Oaklawn-raced horses, he won 13 of 37 starts, with six seconds and four thirds — his 35 percent victory rate easily the best among the top 20 outfits.
- Caldwell’s breakthrough horse was Texas Chrome, who won the 2016 Oklahoma Derby (G3) and Super Derby, propelling the stable to its first $2 million year. He also took Caldwell to his first Breeders’ Cup where he finished unplaced in the Dirt Mile.
- The trainer also keeps a division based seasonally at Delta Downs, Lone Star Park and Remington Park.
- Caldwell grew up in Idaho where his dad trained horses on the side. Caldwell went into the profession full-time and won his first race as a trainer at Turf Paradise in 1995. He spent his time racing in Arizona and at the California fairs until 2001 when he made the move to Texas.