Born: Jan. 27, 1976, Pine Bluff, Ark.
Resides: Star City, Ark.
Primary business: Contractor
- There’s no question who is the star of owner Starsky Weast’s small stable. It’s multiple stakes-winning sprinter Weast Hill, who has won 6 of 9 career starts, including three stakes at Oaklawn, and earned $281,210.
- Among the top Arkansas-bred horses of recent years, Weast Hill has never lost in five career starts at Oaklawn, winning the $75,000 Rainbow Stakes in 2015 and $100,000 Nodouble Breeders’ Stakes and $100,000 Arkansas Breeders’ Stakes last year.
- Although all of Weast Hill’s stakes victories have been against state-bred company, the 5-year-old gelding has beaten open company in allowance races at Oaklawn and Prairie Meadows.
- Weast also bred Weast Hill after purchasing the gelding’s dam, Copperelle, for $10,000 at the 2011 Keeneland November Breeding Stock Sale.
- Weast has raced horses solely or in partnership since 2008. “I have been going to the track all my life and always wanted to own a racehorse,” Weast said.
- Both of Weast’s horses, including Weast Hill, are with Brad Cox, Oaklawn’s fourth-leading trainer in 2016.
- Weast said his most exciting moment in racing is watching Weast Hill’s stakes three victories.
- Weast and his family live on a hill in Star City, Ark., hence the horse’s name.