Residence: Little Rock, Ark.
Biggest Oaklawn win: 2011 Red Bud Stakes with Tidal Pool
- A son-father team in racing and business, the Fords made their fortune with Alltel, the telecommunications giant which Scott led as C.E.O. through several acquisitions after taking over for his father in 1996.
- Scott Ford was at the helm when Alltel was purchased by Verizon Wireless in 2009. He now heads his own capital management firm and Westrock Coffee, which is Oaklawn’s exclusive coffee supplier.
- The family started with Quarter Horses, but made the transition to Thoroughbreds in the mid-2000s through partnerships with Dogwood Stable before forming their own outfit in 2008, eventually under the guidance of Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas. They have also employed several other trainers, including another Hall of Famer Bob Baffert and Ron Moquett.
- Torrent, who is out of their stakes winner Tidal Pool, won an allowance/optional claimer at the 2017 Oaklawn meeting before finishing third in the Martha Washington Stakes and fourth in the Fantasy Stakes (G3). Tidal Pool was second in Fantasy and third in the Kentucky Oaks (G1) in 2010.
- Other top runners include graded stakes winner Den’s Legacy, multiple stakes winner Sky’s Kingdom, Grade 1 winner Secret Compass, Decelerator, Be Fair, Northern Giant, who became the stable’s first Triple Crown race starter and Hamazing Destiny, who nearly pulled the upset at 23-1 when second in the 2010 Breeders’ Cup Sprint (G1).