Ricardo Santana, Jr.
Born: 11/19/1992, Chorio, Panama
Resides: Louisville, Ky.
- Santana, Jr. earned his fourth straight leading rider title in 2016 with 80 victories, including capturing the richest race of this career aboard Creator in the $1 million Arkansas Derby (G1). His first stakes victory also came at Oaklawn in the 2011 Spring Fever aboard Salty Wave.
- In addition to the Arkansas Derby, Santana Jr., also won the $200,000 Honeybee and $400,000 Fantasy (G3) Stakes with Terra Promessa.
- Success followed Santana Jr. throughout 2016. In his first full meet at Saratoga, he finished ninth in the standings and then was among the top 10 riders at the Keeneland Fall Meet.
- Earned his first career leading rider title in 2012 at Delaware Park.
- Hails from Panama, which is also the birthplace of Hall of Famers Laffit Pincay, Jr. and Braulio Baeza. He is from a part of the country where you either join a gang or become a jockey and fortunately, he had the footsteps of his father, Ricardo Sr., a former jockey, to follow.
- The rider came to the United States in 2009 and settled in at Delaware Park where another Panamanian Gabriel Saez was already finding success.