RESIDES: Jones, Oklahoma
BORN: 01/06/67, Sinaloa, Mexico
FAMILY: wife Gedda, daughters Lexie and Alayna Marie, sons Nathan and Ryan
- Entering his 20th straight season in Arkansas, jockey Luis Quinonez brings some strong momentum into 2017 after a strong Remington Park meet where he was a top five riders.
- The former Oaklawn champ had a solid 2016 meet, winning 14 races, including the $500,000 Southwest Stakes (G3) aboard Suddenbreakingnews. After a solid second-place finish in the Arkansas Derby, the Donnie K. Von Hemel trainee took Quinonez to his first Kentucky Derby where he was a fast closing fifth.
- In 2012, enjoyed great success with another Von Hemel trainee, Alternation, who won five stakes during the year, including the $500,000 Oaklawn Handicap and $300,000 Pimlico Special.
- He is the oldest of three jockey brothers and has made Oaklawn, Prairie Meadows and Remington his circuit in recent seasons after four dominating years as the “riding king of Minnesota” at Canterbury Park from 1995-99.
- When Luis started riding his one big goal wasn’t to win the Kentucky Derby, but rather to become a citizen of the United States. He has since reached that goal and is now a proud citizen.