Born: Oct. 21, 1970, Covina Calf.
• Jockey Corey Nakatani has returned for his first full Oaklawn meet since 2010. That year, he finished second in the standings behind Terry Thompson and he is once again finding himself near the top of the leader board with four wins through Jan. 28.
• A mainstay on the tough Southern California circuit, Nakatani has won over 3,800 races during his career. Among his top mounts in recent years have been 2014 Blue Grass Stakes winner Dance with Fate, Grade 1 winner Let Faith Arise, Kaigun, Lexie Lou, Central Banker, Winning Prize (Arg), Jackson Bend, Champion 2-year-old Filly My Miss Aurelia, Chiropractor and Found Money.
• Rode Lava Man to two (2006 and 2007) of his three consecutive Hollywood Gold Cups.
• Nakatani has won nine Breeders’ Cup races, including double wins in both 2011 and 1996. In 2011, he won the Juvenile Fillies with My Miss Aurelia and Turf Sprint with Regally Ready. In 1996, he won the Sprint with Lit de Justice and the Distaff with Jewel Princess.
• Has won the Kentucky Oaks twice with Lite Light and Pike Place Dancer. His best finish in the Kentucky Derby was a second in 2011 aboard Nehro.
• A champion high school wrestler, Nakatani actually got his first glimpse of racing after a wrestling match when he and his father stop by Santa Anita on the way home. Eventually, he approached trainer Roger Stein about a job. After three days of mucking stalls and walking horses for Stein, he decided he wanted to ride and went to a farm to gain experience.
• He graduated from jockey school in Castaic, Calif. and began riding at Caliente in Mexico in the fall of 1988. He won his first race at that track aboard Blue King in a dead heat.