D. Wayne Lukas
Born: 09/02/1935, Antigo, Wisconsin
Resides: Louisville, Kentucky
Family:Wife, Laurie; son Jeff
- Enters 2017 with several promising 3-year-olds, including stakes winner Warrior’s Club.
- Won the 2016 Carousel Stakes with Super Saks.
- In 2013, saddled Will Take Charge to victories in the Smarty Jones and Gr. 2 Rebel Stakes. The flashy chestnut colt also won the Gr. 1 Travers Stakes, Gr. 1 Clark Handicap and was a narrow second in the Breeders’ Cup Classic to Mucho Macho Man en route to an Eclipse Award as champion 3-year-old.
- 2013 Rebel Stakes runner-up Oxbow went on to win the Preakness Stakes. The win was a record 14th Triple Crown race victory for Lukas, who now holds four Kentucky Derbys, six Preakness Stakes and four Belmont Stakes triumphs.
- Leads all trainers in wins and earnings at the Breeders’ Cup with 20 victories.
- Has trained 25 champions, among them three Horse of the Year winners: Lady’s Secret in 1986, Criminal Type in 1990 and Charismatic in 1999.
- Has four Eclipse Awards as champion trainer. Became the all-time money-winning trainer in 1988 and first trainer to top $100 million in purse earnings, as well as topping the $200 million mark.
- The former teacher and basketball coach began his career with Quarter Horses. Turned to Thoroughbreds in 1978.