Born: Sept. 2, 1935
Record at Oaklawn
Total Wins: 301 | Stakes Wins: 47
- Enters 2018 with a promising 3-year-old in Gr. 1 Hopeful winner Sporting Chance.
- Recorded his 300th career Oaklawn victory March 31, 2017, with Never Hungover.
- Won the 2016 Carousel Stakes with Super Saks.
- In 2013, saddled Will Take Charge to victories in the Smarty Jones and Gr. 2 Rebel Stakes. The flashy chestnut colt also won the Gr. 1 Travers Stakes, Gr.1 Clark Handicap and was a narrow second in the Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1) to Mucho Macho Man en route to an Eclipse Award as champion 3-year-old male.
- 2013 Rebel Stakes runner-up Oxbow went on to win the Preakness Stakes (G1), a record 14th Triple Crown race victory for Lukas. He has won the Kentucky Derby four times, Preakness six times and Belmont four times.
- Oaklawn’s leading trainer in 1987 and 2011.
- Leads all trainers in starts (164) and victories (20) and is second in purse earnings ($22,580,520) at the Breeders’ Cup.
- Has trained 25 champions, among them three Horse of the Year winners: Lady’s Secret in 1986, Criminal Type in 1990 and Charismatic in 1999. Lady’s Secret and Criminal Type raced at Oaklawn.
- Has four Eclipse Awards (1985, 1986, 1987 and 1994) as outstanding trainer. Became the all-time money-winning trainer in 1988 and first trainer to top $100 million in purse earnings, as well as $200 million.
- The former teacher and basketball coach began his career with Quarter Horses. Turned to Thoroughbreds in 1978.