Residence: Conway, Ark.
Have won Grade I races with Telling, The Big Beast and Embellish the Lace
- Tied for third at the 2017 meeting with nine victories, including the $125,000 Gazebo Stakes for 3-year-old sprinters with Rockshaw.
- Central Arkansas natives, the Lieblongs live on an 80-acre farm where they previously raised cattle. Alex heads his own investment firm in Little Rock, Ark., and also has bank, gas and oil holdings. He attended University of Central Arkansas but left when drafted in the U.S. Army.
- The husband-wife team first ventured into racing as partners with longtime Arkansas owners Patricia and Gus “Buddy” Blass in the early 1990s.
- The Lieblong’s have had success in recent years with stakes winners Spring Included, High Dollar Woman and Embellish the Lace, winner of the 2015 Alabama Stakes (G1). In 2014, The Big Beast, who began the year at Oaklawn, won the Gr. 1 King’s Bishop at Saratoga. He continued to race at the highest level with a couple of seconds against Grade 1 company and retired at the end of 2015.
- Other top horses have been multiple Grade 1 winner Telling and 2010 Oaklawn Handicap winner Duke of Mischief, owned in partnership, as well as graded-stakes placed For Greater Glory and Marathon Lady.
- Alex is chairman of the Arkansas Racing Commission and JoAnn is on the board of the Arkansas division of the Racetrack Chaplaincy of America.