Born: March 3, 1980
Record at Oaklawn
Total Wins: 132 | Stakes Wins: 8
- One of the country’s rising stars, Cox (through Dec. 7, 2017) ranked ninth nationally in victories (187) and purse earnings ($8.3 million) – both career-high figures – and claimed his first titles at the Churchill Downs September and fall meets.
- Cox grew up a few blocks from Churchill Downs and earned an advanced degree in racing under the famed Twin Spires. He started working for trainers Burk Kessinger Jr. and Jimmy Baker before landing a job as assistant to trainer Dallas Stewart. His five-year stint there indoctrinated him to the revolutionary training program pioneered by D. Wayne Lukas and passed down through former assistants like Todd Pletcher, Kiaran McLaughlin and Stewart.
- After going out on his own in 2004, Cox identified Oaklawn in 2009 as a place to build momentum and get rolling with horses he picked out through claiming races. Since then he has been a growing force in the trainer standings, finishing No. 3 in 2017 with 26 victories.
- Won 23 races at the 2016 Oaklawn meet, including five stakes: $100,000 Bayakoa (G3) and $350,000 Azeri (G2) with Call Pat, $100,000 Arkansas Breeders’ and Nodouble with Weast Hill and the $150,000 Instant Racing with Cash Back.
- Other top horses trained include graded stakes winners Green Mask, Spelling Again, Mr. Misunderstood, Tiger Moth, Cash Control, Chocolate Ride, Carve and Almasty. Carve provided Cox with his first Oaklawn stakes victory in the $100,000 Fifth Season in 2015.