Born: Nov. 18, 1965
Record at Oaklawn:
Total Wins: 539 | Stakes Wins: 72
- Among the leading trainers in the country, Asmussen collected his eighth leading trainer title in 2017 with 41 victories, highlighted by a romp in the $500,000 Razorback Handicap (G3) by probable Horse of the Year Gun Runner. Saddled Gun Runner to win the $6 million Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1) Nov. 4 at Del Mar. Asmussen was on pace to close 2017 ranked second in victories (364) and fourth ($19 million) in purse earnings nationally through Dec. 7.
- Won four other stakes at the 2017 Oaklawn meeting, including the Pippin and Bayakoa (G3) with Terra Promessa and the Fantasy (G3) with Ever So Clever.
- Recorded his 500th career Oaklawn victory at the 2017 meeting when Hence broke his maiden in the seventh race Jan. 16. Hence went on to win the Sunland Derby (G3) and Iowa Derby (G3).
- Had a memorable 2016 highlighted by his induction into the National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame and third Triple Crown race victory with Creator in the Belmont Stakes (G1). Earlier, the Tapit colt provided the trainer with his third Arkansas Derby triumph.
- Won his 7,000th North American race April 1, 2015, at Oaklawn with Drama Coach.
- Trained three consecutive Horse of the Year winners in Curlin (2007 & ’08) and
- Rachel Alexandra (2009). Curlin won the 2007 Rebel and Arkansas Derby, while Rachel Alexandra won the Martha Washington and Fantasy (while trained by Hal Wiggins).
- Curlin became his first Triple Crown race winner when he took the 2007 Preakness Stakes. He won that same race two years later with Rachel Alexandra.
- Eclipse Award-winning trainer in 2008 and 2009. Other champions he has trained are Untapable, My Miss Aurelia and Kodiak Kowboy.
- Grew up in racing with a mother who trained and a father who rode. His parents still operate El Primero Training Center in Laredo, Texas. His brother, Cash, was a world-renown jockey before turning to training. Steve began training in 1986 and set an Oaklawn single-season record for purse earnings in 2016 ($3,448,729).